[Rust-VMM] RFC:

Zach Reizner zachr at google.com
Fri Feb 8 18:10:48 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 2:18 AM Liu Jiang <liuj97 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> As we have discussed during the meeting, I have created a memory-model
> repository under rust-vmm project and  posted the initial version at
> https://github.com/rust-vmm/memory-model .
> The initial version tries to merge current code from the upstream crosvm
> and firecracker projects. And the most sensitive user visible change is
> changing from u64 to usize for memory related data fields.

On 64-bit arm devices, we usually run a 32-bit userspace with a 64-bit
kernel. In this case, the machine word size (usize) that crosvm is compiled
with (32-bit) isn't the same as the one the guest kernel, host kernel,
hardware is using (64-bit). We used u64 to ensure that the size was always
at least as big as needed.