Fwd: [All][StoryBoard] Angular.js Alternatives

James E. Blair jim at acmegating.com
Thu Jan 21 22:29:05 UTC 2021

Kendall Nelson <kennelson11 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Everyone!
>
> The StoryBoard team is looking at alternatives to Angular.js since its
> going end of life. After some research, we've boiled all the options down
> to two possibilities:
>
> Vue.js
>
> or
>
> React.js
>
> I am diving more deeply into researching those two options this week, but
> any opinions or feedback on your experiences with either of them would be
> helpful!
>
> Here is the etherpad with our research so far[3].
>
> Feel free to add opinions there or in response to this thread!
>
> -Kendall Nelson (diablo_rojo) & The StoryBoard Team
>
> [1] https://vuejs.org/
> [2] https://reactjs.org/
> [3] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/replace-angularjs-storyboard-research

React +1

I've heard good things about Vue and I think it's very comparable to
React, and probably a little easier to learn and work with, but even so,
React has a huge amount of support and has made significant strides in
becoming easier to use, to the point that it may be a tossup.

Given that, the large React ecosystem and support base tips the scale
for me.

Overlap with Zuul means there's a bunch of code you can copy (and
eventually vice versa, so don't consider this an impartial
recommendation!).  Also test jobs, framework, docs etc.

See https://zuul-ci.org/docs/zuul/reference/developer/javascript.html
and https://www.softwarefactory-project.io/react-for-python-developers.html
for uniquely local perspectives on getting started with react.

Finally, a relatively new development in the react space is the "redux
toolkit".  Redux is the standard-ish way of dealing with client-side
state and transitions in react (and we use it in Zuul), but it's easily
the least straightforward part of the whole system.  Redux toolkit
handles a whole bunch of the boilerplate there and makes it almost easy
to follow.  At some point I'd like to rework Zuul's use of redux to use
the toolkit, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  If storyboard uses
react and redux, give that a good look; it's much easier to start with
that.

-Jim