Fwd: [All][StoryBoard] Angular.js Alternatives

Antoine Musso hashar at free.fr
Thu Jan 21 23:08:16 UTC 2021

Le 21/01/2021 à 23:05, Kendall Nelson a écrit :
> Hello Everyone!
>
> The StoryBoard team is looking at alternatives to Angular.js since its
> going end of life. After some research, we've boiled all the options
> down to two possibilities:
>
> Vue.js
>
> or
>
> React.js
>
> I am diving more deeply into researching those two options this week,
> but any opinions or feedback on your experiences with either of them
> would be helpful!

Hello,

Wikimedia has picked up Vue.js.  It has been evaluated based on a fairly
large of requirements and challenged against over frameworks with
react.js being the main if not the sole challenger.

Lot of the work happened in 2019 eventually leading to an introduction
presentation by the working group late 2019:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/FAWG_Demo.pdf
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/FAWG_Demo.pdf>

Formally agreeing on Vue.js went through a RFC which is
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T241180
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T241180>  . The description at the
top is the proposal to adopt Vue.js.

The comments have all the discussions with arguments for both sides. The
project lead of Vue.js (Evan You) came and clarified a few key points,
which is always much appreciated. There some interesting exchanges
regarding React. That should be a good read (grab several coffees).

There are some more discussions on Hacker News which involved Wikimedia
employees and it gives some more context:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22625556
<https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22625556>

I can ask internally whether anyone at Wikimedia would be open for a
round of discussion with your group.  Or feel free to reach out to them
directly on my behalf.

A few other random thoughts:

- Gerrit UI is based on Polymer, Zuul has a dashboard using React.

- If I got it right: Storyboard was written to replace Launchpad
Blueprint in the context of OpenStack development.  OpenStack Horizon
uses Angular and I am assuming a lot of other OS projects do as well.
Maybe there the framework selection for Storyboard should be made in
coordination with the rest of the ecosystem using it?

- if a rewrite is a lot of work, there is an opportunity to pick an
entirely different system. But I guess Storyboard is adhoc for the
unique workflows you have to support.

Antoine "hashar" Musso

Wikimedia Release Engineering