Reevaluating choice of IRC network for our service bots

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon May 24 20:34:19 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-24 11:19:12 -0500 (-0500), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[...]
> Does openinfra projects have their individual choice which one
> they want to move or continue OR there will be only a single
> network provided/supported by opendev based on the majority of
> openinfra projects feedback.
[...]

Technically those are two separate questions, so I'll do my best to
answer them both.

OpenDev doesn't mandate communication choices for projects, you're
always free to communicate where you like.

However, OpenDev doesn't provide nor plan to provide services
spanning multiple IRC networks, so we'll attempt to accommodate
whichever network the majority of our projects are using. If that's
Freenode then clearly we don't need to change anything. If it's OFTC
then that's a contingency we've planned for, and we can execute a
move of our services there fairly quickly. If it's some other IRC
network then expect longer delays and a fair bit more work on our
part.

The fact that we've kept channels registered for everyone on OFTC is
fairly significant, because that means we don't need to wrest
control from anyone who might already be hanging out in them.
Without that, some channels (particularly those not namespaced)
could take years to get under our control, if ever.
--
Jeremy Stanley