Storyboard Needs and Alternatives

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:18:29 UTC 2022

Sorry this post may be out of the existing thread, I wasn't aware of
this list (just the service-announce) until now, so I just signed up.

Here are my issues with Storyboard:
1. It is unmaintained and even contributed patches get ignored (6+
months with no review).
2. It is slow (frankly it seems like it is getting slower over time).
3. The search is horrible.
4. It is not flexible enough to work with teams processes.
 a. For example, we can't link duplicate stories, so it's a pain to
piece all of the stories together.
 b. There is no lifecycle status that can be used for search, etc.
Triaged, confirmed, etc.
 c. Object storage never became a thing, so no screenshots, no logs, etc.
 d. There are no "My bugs" quick links, etc. so stuck with the search
capability.
 e. Tags are free-form, so you get "RFE" "rfe" "feature", etc. that
are all different searches.
 f. No way to search by "authored by"
 g. No "importance" fields, again making search and sorting hard
without creating ordered lists.
5. Not all projects are on Storyboard, so it is a huge pain to move a
story from one project to the other.
6. The Storyboard community was very opinionated on "how" it should be
used and was not open to enabling alternate workflows/processes.
  a. This causes problems when community members have downstream
tools/processes they need to align stories with.
  b. This made maintaining stories/bugs very difficult and people
stopped triaging stories.

These are the top of head issues I have with Storyboard.

I know from the Octavia team perspective, we have tried[1] to work
with and help Storyboard become a thing, but it just isn't happening.

At this point I think the Octavia team is favoring going back to
launchpad. I think given how Storyboard has gone, I would not be in
favor of an alternate tool unless the community was 100% onboard to
all move inside a cycle.

Michael

[1] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/storyboard-issues