Updates to meetpad's Jitsi Meet configuration

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Sep 19 17:42:39 UTC 2022

On 2022-09-06 14:15:03 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Last week, we refreshed our configuration defaults for the Jitsi
> Meet services which provide the teleconferencing features of our
> meetpad.opendev.org service.
>
> The primary behavior change you're likely to notice is that meeting
> room URLs first take you to a pre-join page now. This is a
> workaround for some browsers, particularly Firefox, treating the
> audio stream as unsolicited and automatically blocking it.
> Previously, that was responsible for causing confusing "I can't hear
> anyone else" problems for many users.
>
> If you had trouble with sound on our meetpad service before, please
> do try it again at your convenience and let us know if it helped (or
> more importantly, if it didn't).

Just to follow up on this, we got some additional fixes merged to
allow us to securely scale out the video bridging component again,
so the service should be in good shape to handle additional load
from the upcoming virtual PTG. This would be a good time for people
who are considering using meetpad.opendev.org for PTG discussions,
or anyone who previously experienced problems with the service, to
give it another try and let us know how you get on.

As always, you can reply to this list with feedback or find us in
the #opendev channel on the OFTC IRC network!
--
Jeremy Stanley