[Edge-computing] Oaktree

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 21:13:12 UTC 2018

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 12:07 PM, Sun, Yih Leong
<yih.leong.sun at intel.com> wrote:
> My understanding on Oaktree is it is a gPRC API and support multiple clouds (currently for multiple OpenStack Clouds / Regions but potentially can support non-OpenStack cloud in the future) and provide consistent model for “user” to manage resources across “differences” in every clouds. It uses gRPC and protobuf which is more streamline and network efficient.

To expand on Leong's answer a bit, Oaktree encapsulates the OpenStack
Shade library[0] behind a gRPC API to remove deployment differences
for applications that need to use multiple OpenStack clouds.  (The
gRPC part is not a requirement, it could just as well be REST.)  This
relieves applications from needing to know or care about the various
ways OpenStack might be deployed.  And we know it works because the
Nodepool component of the OpenStack CI infrastructure uses it to
manage the numerous clouds used for all of OpenStack CI testing.

Expanding Oaktree to other cloud APIs would effectively be a re-write
of Apache jclouds, rather something like jclouds would offload the
deployment details to Oaktree for its OpenStack back-end.

dt

[0] Shade as been merged into the OpenStackSDK project which is
approaching a 1.0 release at which time Shade itself will begin its
transition to a call-through wrapper to the SDK.  This will bring all
of the current 'business login' in Shade to all consumers of the SDK
such as OpenStackClient.

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com